Monday, October 31, 2011

A Halloween Memory

I close my eyes and I am instantly back to Halloween of 2006. I was new to the area, only moving here in July and still felt uncomfortable. I remember I had to work late that evening, and when I left work it was dark. Cold. Lonely. I got into my car, buckled up and headed home. The 10 mile journey took me over an hour and in that hour, alone in my car, I thought about my family. I thought about my Mom and Dad, and how they made everything so special for me during my childhood. I thought about my brother who was back and forth between Iraq and Afghanistan at the time, really wishing I could hug him and have one more round of trick or treating in our familiar streets with him. I thought about my baby sister, my best friend, who unconditionally loved me since the day she was born. Her big brown eyes always looking up to me. I thought about our old room, our twin beds, our stuffed closet, our stories when the lights where out. Kenny Chesney singing us to sleep. All of these memories flooding over me. I looked around me and all I could see were cars, headlights on, stopped on the fucking highway. Not moving, not getting any closer to home. Kids waiting for their parents to get home so that they could trick or treat.

I started to cry. I wanted to go home. I wanted my family. I wanted familiarity and love surrounding me. I wiped my tears and continued my journey to the house I was renting a room in. I was greeted by my roommates who had started handing kids candy. I put on a smile, told myself to enjoy this new life that I made for myself. Keep pushing forward. And I did.

After that night, I knew I belonged in Maryland for the time being. At the time I had no idea why, but 13 days later I did. That's when I met him. Bright blue eyes and a big smile. He had the soul of an angel, made me feel like a brand new person. He took me in, made this my home. Introduced me to his loving family who all welcomed me. Made me laugh 'til I cried, took me to new places and showed me a way of life.

Halloween of 2006 was one of my lowest days but November 13, 2006 turned out to be the day I met the man I would spend my life falling in love with. I am still in disbelief that this wonderful, smart, charming man picks me to spend his life with. We were connected from the first moment we met, and we're even more connected today.

Thank you, Aaron. You fulfill me and keep me safe. You make my life so enjoyable and exciting. When we're apart I feel incomplete and I miss you. I get excited when I know you're on your way home to me, and can't wait to hug you and feel you. You are the man of my dreams.

The last five years have been a blur; meeting you, getting married, having babies, moving three times, but it's been wonderful. Full of adventures and first times, remember when's and looking forward to's. Here's to many more, my love. 

No comments: